Friday 21 August 2009

On Walking, Talking, and Turning One

Five days after Alexander turned one, he took his first step (for the record, it was on the evening of Monday, August 17th). The next day, he took one more. And the following day, two more. It's hard not to get excited as a parent. Something as small as a first step shows bravery, boldness, tenacity, and determination. Sure, every child may have it, but to recognize it in your own little one is an awakening of sorts. Go, Alex!


Meanwhile, with Tobi gone, Lukas and I have been reading together and cuddling before bedtime. Last night, he looked at me and said, "I love you Mama, but do you know what else I'm thankful for? Ferris wheels and playgrounds." I could literally feel my heart melting. He's such a sweet, sensitive boy, and he's always looking out for his little brother (sometimes tackling him or grabbing him by one foot to prevent him from crawling into mischief).


Speech-wise, we're thinking that Alex is not quite as advanced as Lukas was at that age. That's probably normal for a second child. He says both Mama and Papa, but he seems to say that for a lot of things. What was cute was his begging for a Snickers bar on the beach in Wemeldinge the this past week. I take a bite, give Lukas a bite, and Alex is nearly on top of me, saying, "Mama, Ala!". For those of you who need a translation, that's "Mama, give Alex a bite!". Very cute.


With the first child, I think parents are so anxious for their babies to talk and be the first at everything that they tend to read more into each tiny baby noise. Hence the mother of an 7-month-old, proclaiming, "Oh, he just said Da-da!" (which only works for fathers choosing to go by "Daddy" and not "Papa"). Whereas with the second child, you're begging for them to grow up slowly, and more confident that they will walk and talk when the time is right.


I'd rather Alexander be the last at everything, than the first. Afterall, he has his whole life to walk and talk. I want him to be a baby... while he still can.


Happy birthday, sweet baby boy. We've so enjoyed this first year with you, and we're looking forward to watching you grow... every step of the way.

1 comment:

  1. Oh...your piece about the boys had me teary eyed~

    ReplyDelete